Jobs at the Times
Navajo Times Publishing Company, Inc. is looking for a seasoned Sports Writer with strong interviewing skills, sound news judgment, and the ability to generate and write insightful news stories, features, and game stories. Candidates need to be self-starters, able to cope with the pressure and stress due to weekly publication deadlines and travel. Column-writing experience a plus.
- Researches and develops news articles from local, city, and around the state sporting events.
- Conducts onsite and phone interviews with individuals and attend sporting events to obtain items for publication, verify facts and clarify information.
- Writes articles and game recaps accurately, clearly and concisely, and in an engaging, interesting and unbiased manner; and coordinate photos for weekly publication.
- Develop ideas for news and feature pieces; cultivates and use sources and resources. Establishes and maintains relationships with individuals who are credible sources of information.
- Collaborates effectively with others, communicates and works independently or within a team to give a complete picture of sports coverage.
- Must have reliable transportation, or access to it, and be able to travel within the assigned area or greater distances when needed.
- Establishes social media presence on various platforms, such as; Twitter, Facebook, etc.
- May take photographs and other visual elements, to edit when necessary, and to provide information for and/or provide graphics.
- Maintains basic journalistic standards and enforces the newsroom code of ethics; exhibits professionalism and tact.
- Understands and complies with copyright, libel, privacy, and journalism ethics guidelines.
- Attends weekly editorial meetings.
The ideal candidate must possess a strong command of AP grammar and style, and a deep knowledge of all sports. Nature of the work requires flexible schedules, including evenings, holidays, and weekends, as the schedule varies depending on the sports calendar. Applicants must have a Bachelor’s degree in Journalism, English; or closely related field and two years of experience writing sports content at a weekly or daily newspaper; or an equivalent combination of training, education and experience. Must have valid driver’s license and a clean driving history. Salary: based on overall education and experience.
Please send application, cover letter, resume, and any supporting documents such as diplomas or certificates and writing and/or photography samples and clips to Navajo Times Human Resources; P.O. Box 310; Window Rock, AZ 86515 or email to email@example.com. To download an application, please go to www.navajotimes.com/contact-us/jobs-at-the-times. Applications will not be accepted by telefax. Open until filled. For more information, telephone the Navajo Times office at (928) 871-1130.
NTPC, Inc., is an Equal Opportunity Employer and enforces the Navajo Preference in Hiring Act.