Jobs at the Times
Navajo Times Publishing Company, Inc. is looking for a seasoned Sports Writer with strong interviewing skills, sound news judgment, and the ability to generate and write insightful news stories, features, and game stories. Candidates need to be self-starters, able to cope with the pressure and stress due to weekly publication deadlines and travel. Column-writing experience a plus.
- Researches and develops news articles from local, city, and around the state sporting events.
- Conducts onsite and phone interviews with individuals and attend sporting events to obtain items for publication, verify facts and clarify information.
- Writes articles and game recaps accurately, clearly and concisely, and in an engaging, interesting and unbiased manner; and coordinate photos for weekly publication.
- Develop ideas for news and feature pieces; cultivates and use sources and resources. Establishes and maintains relationships with individuals who are credible sources of information.
- Collaborates effectively with others, communicates and works independently or within a team to give a complete picture of sports coverage.
- Must have reliable transportation, or access to it, and be able to travel within the assigned area or greater distances when needed.
- Establishes social media presence on various platforms, such as; Twitter, Facebook, etc.
- May take photographs and other visual elements, to edit when necessary, and to provide information for and/or provide graphics.
- Maintains basic journalistic standards and enforces the newsroom code of ethics; exhibits professionalism and tact.
- Understands and complies with copyright, libel, privacy, and journalism ethics guidelines.
- Attends weekly editorial meetings.
The ideal candidate must possess a strong command of AP grammar and style, and a deep knowledge of all sports. Nature of the work requires flexible schedules, including evenings, holidays, and weekends, as the schedule varies depending on the sports calendar. Applicants must have a Bachelor’s degree in Journalism, English; or closely related field and two years of experience writing sports content at a weekly or daily newspaper; or an equivalent combination of training, education and experience. Must have valid driver’s license and a clean driving history. Salary: based on overall education and experience.
Please send application, cover letter, resume, and any supporting documents such as diplomas or certificates and writing and/or photography samples and clips to Navajo Times Human Resources; P.O. Box 310; Window Rock, AZ 86515 or email to email@example.com. To download an application, please go to www.navajotimes.com/contact-us/jobs-at-the-times. Applications will not be accepted by telefax. Application deadline is August 16, 2019 at 3:00 p.m. For more information, telephone the Navajo Times office at (928) 871-1130.
Navajo Times Publishing Company, Inc. is seeking a Part Time Circulation Assistant to assist in the distribution of weekly newspaper to customers and independent contract carriers. Maintains an orderly flow of the circulation area to achieve consistent, proper, on-time delivery to subscribers and retail outlets. Must be able to work a flexible schedule including night, holiday, and early morning hours.
- Organizes and maintains inserts and stages newspapers for weekly circulation timelines.
- Relays delivery information to the Circulation Manager on inserts to meet zoned newspaper counts, and distributes to carriers.
- Assists in the overall operation of the newspaper circulation process and coordinates with independent contract carriers on newspaper returns.
- Maintains a safe working environment by monitoring safety procedures and equipment; including but not limited to overall cleanliness of carrier work stations, delivery bay, and surrounding areas.
- Provides assistance in the absence of Circulation Coordinator with presorting and processing of newspaper subscriptions; including, new or updated subscriber information.
- On occasion works with press room staff to breakdown returned newspaper bundles and cardboard boxes; stacks and organizes onto pallets for recycling.
- May respond to customer service requests and complaints, such as, delivery problems and/or missed newspaper to subscribers.
- Competent in the use and maintenance of pallet jack, pallet walker, re-charger, strapping machine and other related equipment.
The ideal candidate must have knowledge of warehouse distribution practices and methods related to distribution of newspapers. Must be self-motivated and be able to work without extensive supervision; and possess a high level of problem-solving skills and deductive reasoning. Considerable physical activity is required and includes; prolonged periods of sitting, standing, bending, twisting, talking and hearing. Work requires the ability to handle 30 to 50-lb. bundles of newspapers multiple times per day. Applicants must have a High School Diploma or G.E.D equivalent; plus one or more years’ experience in warehousing or newspaper distribution center; or an equivalent combination of training, education and experience. General knowledge of computers and Windows applications preferred. Must have valid driver’s license and a clean driving history. Salary: $11.00 per hour.
Please send application, cover letter, and resume to Navajo Times Human Resources; P.O. Box 310; Window Rock, AZ 86515 or email to firstname.lastname@example.org. To download an application, please go to www.navajotimes.com/contact-us/jobs-at-the-times. Applications will not be accepted by telefax. Application deadline is August 16, 2019 at 3 p.m. For more information, telephone the Navajo Times office at (928) 871-1130.
NTPC, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer and enforces the Navajo Preference in Hiring Act.