Police Blotter: Fatal Crash on I-40 near Laguna
On Sunday at about 3 p.m., the New Mexico State Police reported a crash involving two commercial motor vehicles on Interstate 40 at around milepost 109. The initial investigation indicates that a 2014 Kenworth CMV and a 2001 Freightliner CMV were both traveling east on Interstate 40. The Freightliner had slowed down for stopped traffic up ahead. For unknown reasons, the Kenworth failed to slow down or stop and rear-ended the Freightliner.
The driver of the Kenworth, a 53 -year-old Fresno, California, man, was fatally injured in the collision and was pronounced dead on the scene by the Office of the Medical Investigator.
His identity will not be released until he has been positively identified. The driver of the Freightliner, a 26-year-old Lynwood, California, man was uninjured. The crash is under investigation by the New Mexico State Police. Alcohol does not appear to have been a factor and seatbelts appear to have been properly worn.
Navajo Co. Sheriff’s report for Aug. 30 to Sept. 5
HOLBROOK – The Navajo County Sheriff reports the following activity from Aug. 30 to Sept. 5.
• On Aug. 30, deputies responded to Sun Valley, Arizona, for reports of a domestic violence incident taking place. After their investigation, Tomacita Sangster, 31, of Sun Valley, was arrested for assault-domestic violence.
• On Aug. 31, deputies responded to a domestic dispute in Show Low. Fernando Ortiz, 37, was arrested and booked into the Navajo County Annex for aggravated assault with a deadly weapon and disorderly conduct involving weapons-domestic violence.
• On Sept. 1, a deputy responded to a domestic dispute in the Claysprings area. Jessica Lee, 39, was arrested and booked into the Navajo County Jail for an outstanding warrant along with a disorderly conduct-domestic violence charge.
• On Sept. 1, a deputy conducted a traffic stop in the area of State Route 260 and Mogollon Drive in Heber-Overgaard. Cassandra Jones, 29, was issued a criminal citation for excessive speed.
• On Sept. 1, a deputy responded the area of Lakeside regarding trespassing. Jessica St Pierre, 26, was arrested and booked into the Navajo County Annex for an outstanding warrant.
• On Sept. 2, deputies responded to a domestic dispute in the White Mountain Lakes area. Joseph Barton, 27, was arrested and booked into the Navajo County Annex for assault and disorderly conduct-domestic violence.
• On Sept. 4, deputies conducted a traffic stop on State Route 87 when they witnessed a vehicle with no visible rear license plate. Kenneth Yazzie, 56, of Tsaile, Arizona, was arrested for a warrant out of the Holbrook Justice Court.
• On Sept. 4, a deputy conducted a traffic stop in the area of State Route 77 and milepost 354 in Snowflake. Tyrone Milan, 23, was issued a criminal citation for excessive speed.
• On Sept. 5, a deputy conducted a traffic stop in the area of U.S. Highway 60 and Bourdon Ranch Road in Show Low. Todd Johnson, 21, was issued a criminal citation for littering.