Info posted on social media don’t tell whole story of Redd’s case

LOS ANGELES

Court documents have been posted on social media within the past few days concerning criminal charges of sexual assault of a minor that were filed back in 2009 against one of the candidates running for Navajo Nation president.

Shawn Redd campaign photo.

The documents, however, only show a part of the story of Shawn Redd’s problems with the law back then. They neglect to show the outcome of the legal battle, in which a McKinley County district court jury, after a weeklong trial, found him not guilty of all of the charges.

“It’s a non-issue (in my campaign),” said Redd, one of 18 men and women who are running for tribal president in the upcoming primary.

He said the subject has not come up at any of the forums, rallies or chapter meetings that he has attended as part of his campaign.

In November of 2009, Redd was charged with three counts of criminal sexual penetration of a minor, one count of criminal sexual contact with a minor, one count of false imprisonment and two counts of intent to commit child abuse. The alleged victim was 10 years old.

If he had been found guilty, he would have spent most of the rest of his life in a state prison.

After five days of hearing witnesses, a jury took no time in finding him not guilty of all charges.


 To read the full article, pick up your copy of the Navajo Times at your nearest newsstand Thursday mornings!

Are you a digital subscriber? Read the most recent three weeks of stories by logging in to your online account.

  Find newsstand locations at this link.

Or, subscribe via mail or online here.




Categories: Politics
Tags: shawn redd

About Author

Bill Donovan

Bill Donovan has been writing about the Navajo Nation government since 1971 and for the Navajo Times since 1976. He is currently semi-retired and is living in Torrance, California, and continues to report for the Navajo Times.